Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Little Rain Never Hurt Anyone, Except Maybe The Republicans?

I was off today, sort of.

It's a rarity for me to have a weekend day off. That's the reality of working in retail. The "sort of" part of the equation noted in the first sentence refers to a mandatory work meeting I had to attend this morning. That wrapped up at 10:00 am and I decided since I was out I might as well hit the recall canvassing trail.

In the pouring rain. Thank you umbrella makers everywhere.

As I was walking the neighborhood collecting signatures I finally met a man who wouldn't sign the Kapanke recall petition. I've been canvassing off and on since last Thursday and he was my first refusal.

He was comically abusive and not much really gets me flustered. He decided that I "wasn't smart enough to come out of the rain" even.

I then asked him if he thought a Republican would be out in the pouring rain doing something like this.

His reply involved telling me no, they were too smart to go out in the rain, once again letting me know how stupid I appeared to be.

My reply: Sir, we have dozens of people out today. A little rain won't hurt us. When we're done collecting the signatures and Kapanke is recalled please remember how dumb I am. We're hoping your party remains too smart to come out in the rain, or any weather for that matter.

Then the door was closed and I went on my merry way.

2 comments:

MissMo said...

I think you are awesome for doing this work!

Just Plain Tired said...

Moira -- Thank you. But there are a lot of people doing as much here locally, if not more.